The Big Introduction Topic

Where all the new WOWAYers can learn!

Moderator: Moderators

RunningWithScissors
Regular

Re: The Big Introduction Topic

Post by RunningWithScissors »

Hello! I have lurked around here for a few years, finally joining!

I am 28 and I have been an AL fan since I was 7. The first album I ever heard was Dare To Be Stupid, and it's still one of my top 3 favs. The other two being Manditory Fun (I know it's still soon to declare it a fav, but, it's looking good!) and, well, Running With Scissors!

I have seen Al 3 times live, Scissors Tour, Lynwood Tour, and Internet Leaks Tour. Today I bought a GOLD ticket for the Mandatory Tour! So I will get to meet Al! So Excited!!

I live in Ohio, but not in a tree, and I don't work in a nasal decongestant factory...

Hope to have fun here :)
yank
Occasional

Post by yank »

Hi, I'm Yank and ever since I was 12 I've listened to Dr. Demento and Weird Al. I was in boarding school and we were having House Cleaning Period and I was cleaning the boy's back hallway and Al started blaring out of John Kip's speakers in his bedroom. My face exploded. "How can he get away with that?" I wondered, because Al was doing a knockoff of Rocky Road. So I was hooked. Ever after on Sunday nights my head hung over the bed at 10 pm, listening to the radio, trying to keep my mom from hearing it (tomorrow was a school day).

Glad to meet you! :accordion:

P.S. Fave albums--First ALbum, RWS+Alpocalypse
"First of all, I don't particularly MIND the rabid wolverine in my underwear...."

"I was not shocked by the power of the Internet," he said. "I was counting on it."

"IT'S THE WEEKEND!" At the Zoo.fm
claykid12345
Occasional
Awards: nothing

Post by claykid12345 »

Hi, I joined here around January. I'm just another Al fan, like the rest of you.
:accordion:
...it's time to let your babies grow up to be cowboys, it's time to let the bedbugs bite...
Weird Al Concerts I've been to:
6/30/16 - Kansas City, MO (Mandatory Fun Tour)
8/31/19 - Kansas City, MO (Strings Attached Tour)
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

:welcome: claykid! Great Top 10. I can't believe Grapefruit Diet made the cut!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
WeirdDana27
Addicted

Post by WeirdDana27 »

Welcome newbs! I've been a member for 12 years but have periods of frequent activity and hibernation and have returned from yet another period of hibernation ;)
KatrinatheGood
Addicted

Post by KatrinatheGood »

Greetings, Ladies and Gentleman. I am pleased to have just registered here. I have been an on and off fan of Mr. Yankovic all my life. I loved a song of his then for whatever reason I would forget about him. This year is different for me and why I have decided to join this beautiful forum. Up until this point in my life I laughed at Al's song and music videos but only recently did I fully realized how talented he really is. Even more so I have just realized what an amazing Human Being he is. What struck me was the performance at the Night of Too Many Stars when he sang "Yoda" with that nice young lady. I was taken a back when he first started to sing with her that he was in fact holding back tears. The look of pure joy singing back up for that sweet girl blew me away. Then after listening a few times I realized he changed his pitch/voice to harmonize with the girl's voice. I went back and listen to a lot of old and new songs just to hear his voice. It never dawned on me that Mr. Yankovic really does have a beautiful and distinct singing voice. Then I moved on to read and watch interviews. I never realized what an intelligent and kind person he really is. I feel foolish for only seeing this how, but I suppose better late than never.

Forgive the long, sappy "Hello." I look forward to more Weird Al discussions with you fine folk.

P.S. "Word Crimes" shall be my new theme song when ever I walk in a room. :wordcrimes:
Corey
Off The Deep End
Awards: 2015 Best Al Man (-18)

Post by Corey »

Welcome to WOWAY! :welcome:
6/30/15
antster1983

Post by antster1983 »

Good afternoon Al Fans!

I'm what you would call an Al Fan. I'm 32 and I'm from the UK, I live in the north west of England.

It all started when as a kid I would go to my grandparents house during the summer while my parents went to work, and they had cable television. And one of those cable channels was called "The Box", a music video channel which acted like a video jukebox (you rang a premium phone number, waited on the line while they took your money and then dialled a three digit code to select your video, then waited for about 3 hours for your video to come on). at times they had a few Weird Al videos, like "Jurassic Park" and "Amish Paradise", along with a video with brief clips of all his videos (including "Fat", "Eat It", "Like A Surgeon", "Headline News" and "Smells Like Nirvana"), I think it was called "Al in the Box". And then we seemed to forget about him... until lardbucket DJ Chris Moyles played a polka medley of recent chart hits on his BBC Radio 1 Breakfast show (which I later found out was called "Polkarama!"). This kinda rekindled an interest in Weird Al, but it wasn't really until a few years ago that I realised this guy was more than just a parody artist! This guy can play instruments! This guy can write songs! This guy has a full backing band! This guy is a genius! It's just a shame he isn't more well known in the UK.

Other interests? Well, when not listening to Al or watching his videos I'm usually listening to other music, mainly rock (favourite two bands are Genesis and Pink Floyd), watching comedy shows and game shows, gaming or singing on karaoke (and Weird Al is in my setlist, but sticking to a song a weekend so as to not overdo it and annoy the pub patrons)

Well, that's me! :tacky:
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Welcome to WOWAY, antster! I'm glad you've discovered the genius that is Weird Al.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Welcome, Katrina and antster!