The 8th Horcrux: Harry Potter Parody Band

Here you can show your graphics skills or any program made of Weird Al.

Moderator: Moderators

weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Re: The 8th Horcrux: Harry Potter Parody Band

Post by weirdojace »

I think you did a nice job on it.

Might I recommend posting your songs on The FuMP Sideshow? It's a good way to get your stuff straight into the hands of comedy music fans.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

Thanks for the tip! :) I just posted "I Love Hogwarts", as that seems to be the one people really like from our new album! I glad you like our MCR parody...
oddaustin
Regular

Post by oddaustin »

Did you reproduce the music for "I Love Hogwarts"? It's quite well done if you did, but it sounds a lot like the original music to me is all.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

To be honest, it was a mix of both.

The drum beat in the original Asher Roth song was sampled from "Impeach the President" by the Honey Drippers. I tracked down an mp3 of that, then started working on it.

I used a sampled loop from the original song to base the guitar. I added my own guitar (using an amp from my school to get the right sound) on top of the original guitar. This part wasn't too bad to replicate, since it's basically chords. And even though I know the sample was later removed in the original, I used a sample of "Say It Ain't So" by Weezer in the beginning during the "Hey I'm good man..." part.

Finally I tracked down an instrumental to add some of the record scratches and tougher guitar bits that I couldn't replicate myself, like the licks at 1:00 to 1:01, 1:53 to 1:59, and 2:10 to 2:12, for instance. I mixed all of this in FL Studio so that it sounds nice, and voila!

(Note, this was the first song we recorded for our new album, and it was REALLY tedious. After I finished mixing it, I decided to try and make songs completely by ourselves, without the help of samples, unless it will make it sound really nice/closer to the original.)

So what you end up with is kind of a Frankenstein song, and I will admit, it's easily the song we "cheated" the most on. The vocals and about 1/3 of the music were replicated by me, another 1/3 of the music is from Asher Roth's original, and a final 1/3 of the music is composed of samples used in the original song (from Weezer and Honey Drippers). And that's how I made the song!
weirdojace
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdojace »

When I first started out, I used to cheat like that too. One notable example is the drums in my old song "Dumbledore Died" being sampled from an actual MIDI of "Mr. Brightside."
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

Sometimes, we have to cheat/program on really complex songs. But another part of the fun is trying to play the complex parts! I guess it's a double edged-sword.
A-Log
Occasional

Post by A-Log »

Nice job with the Asher Roth parody, "I Love Hogwarts". I'll be sure to play it on my show next Saturday.

Stay Weird,
Anthony "A-Log" LoGatto
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

That would be awesome! I'm glad you like the song! :)
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

Our new album is very nearly done! :)
weirdojace
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdojace »

Neato!