iTunes Premiere Songs Revisited

Place your polls here! And if you know a nice Weird Al game, go play it here!

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I know we've begun discussing this in some other threads, but I figured a poll was in order. So how do you want your Al music: in small, more frequent doses, or do you want the whole new package all at once with a lengthier wait in between?

And bonus question, does not hearing a parody until the original song is several months (if not a year or two) old detract from its value?
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WeirdAbbott
Off The Deep End

Post by WeirdAbbott »

I read this on MySpace and I couldn't believe it. I really don't think that Al should do it only because if everyone gets the songs off of iTunes, then no one is gonna buy the album. And we all want our boy to have a successful album, but I don't think it'll happen if he does this.
amiright.com/parody/authors/abbottskelding.shtml
youtube.com/WeirdAbbott
facebook.com/TheAbbottSkelding
soundclick.com/TheAbbottSkelding
facebook.com/AbbottSkeldingDesign
Mashed Potato
Off The Deep End

Post by Mashed Potato »

I'll wait 5 years for the album to come out. I don't care but I want it all at once.

I like his parodies that are 10-15 years old better than his newer ones, because I know the songs. Todays music really kinda stinks. (some, not all)
SWIGGITY SWOOTY
Keir
Obsessed

Post by Keir »

Wow, I'm the first person to say Love it! I really like the idea of not having to wait to hear new songs.

People will still buy the album becuse you know there will still be exclusive tracks and bonus material on the CD. The people who will only download the songs on iTunes and not buy the CD are the same people who downloaded White & Nerdy but didn't buy Straight Outta Lynwood.

I don't care how current a song is, but I'm really the wrong person to be asking since I don't even know any new songs. However, there is another aspect of a song's relevance and that is the lyrical content. Even if he's parodying an older song, if the subject of the parody is a new trend or hot news item then it makes sense for him to put the song out early.
Wishing you a Twisted Christmas and a Twisted New Year!
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I'm part of the "hate it" bandwagon. I've said why before in other threads.
And Peggy
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I said "love it", even though I probably won't buy anythng off of itunes. I think it's great that Al wants to keep current. Besides, it's tough waiting so long for a whole cd. This will appease those who want something new faster.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
sataneatscheezwhiz
Obsessed

Post by sataneatscheezwhiz »

i think it would be cool to have it on itunes. just a few of the parodies, not all of 'em, though. then people will say,this is cool, let's check out the whole cd, and there will be more songs that are new on the album, and they'll still get a hard copy that they can rub all over themselves, just like al wants them to.
"Since when is hitting people with big metal sticks NOT fun?"

"I saw your head, so I just HAD to poke it."
weirdalfan1000000
Obsessed

Post by weirdalfan1000000 »

Yeah, I think he should release 1 or 2 parodies on iTunes, a month or so before the album's released.

I voted don't care, because I don't really mind getting spoiled about the songs unless I get forced to listen to the whole thing/ read all the lyrics. If he released some of all the songs on iTunes, he would probably but lots of bonus features on the albums for the hardcore fans.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

I'm surprised at the results so far. I'm in the "love it" camp, as long as a CD/DVD featuring the same songs also becomes available. I'm not an audiophile but I do hear the difference in the compression of MP3s as opposed to better quality CDs. I like hearing songs as soon as they're ready, and this will give Al the freedom to be more topical in his lyrical content.

ETA: I'm old enough to remember the days back before 1983 when Al sent tapes of new songs to Dr Demento periodically. Those were fun times.
This means something. This is important.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Wow! The poll is pretty one-sided so far. I'm in the "hate it" camp as well.

I wonder if Al will see this and consider altering his plan a bit. Instead of releasing the songs as they're recorded, maybe he could just release a couple in the month or two before the album is released, like he did with SOL. That would be a good compromise.