The Big Fat UHF Topic

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

Okay, right now I want to show you one of my favorite cartoons. It's a sad depressing story about a pathetic coyote who spends every waking moment of his life in the futal persuit of a sadistic roadrunner who MOCKS him and LAUGHS at him as he is repeatedly CRUSHED and MAIMED! HOPE YOU ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did anyone ever wonder how such a small independent TV channel was able to afford the royalties for Looney Tunes?

Technicaly, he never said it was a Looney Tunes cartoon. It could be a cheap knock-off.

-Rich, just Rich
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

UHF Ratings

Post by Bruce the Duck »

UHF aired on Showtime the other day. Under the description of the movie is the rating PG-13, because of "V, L, and SC" I never really understood the subtle difference between PG and PG-13, but let's look at those letter ratings.

V - Violence Okay, I'll give them that. There's certainly a fair share of violence in UHF, although most of it is slapstick or "cartoonish" violence.

L - Language ????? Where in the movie is there any "foul" language? I don't even think they even say "hell" or "damn" in the movie!

SC - Sexual Content Hello?????? What in the world are they talking about? There's nothing even remotely sexual in the movie. There's barely even a female presence in the film, with only three female characters, none of which play lead roles! And certainly, none of the characters are even a tiny bit sexual in the movie! The only thing I can think of that could be considered sexual content is the brief line "Lesbian Nazi hookers abducted ..." (you know the rest)

Can anyone shed some light on this.
rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

Language- Uncle Harvey says "Blow it out you @$$'. If thats not worth a PG-13 rating, I don't know what is :P.

-Rich, just Rich
rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

And lets not forget how messed up ratings were in the 80's. A lost of movies rated PG had nudity in them! I'm sure we all remember Critters 2 :). If not, go rent the movie.

-Rich, just Rich
Clyde the Viking
Occasional
Location: Oh, you know where I am. Mwa- ha- ha- ha- ha- cough- sputter- gag- choke!

Post by Clyde the Viking »

I know that there is "hell" in the movie twice.

Once when George says "Agh! Ah! I'm in hell!" on the answering machine.

Once when Stanley says "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take it anymore!"

Actually, he says "Blow it out your ear."
Egg Land Fondue?
YamiJess27
Obsessed

Post by YamiJess27 »

QUOTE Language- Uncle Harvey says \"Blow it out you @$$'. If thats not worth a PG-13 rating, I don't know what is :P.

-Rich, just Rich

No, he says 'blow it out your ear scuzbag!' While there is little sexual content the nazi hooker thing is probably why it got that. Oh, and 'sex with furniture.' Oh yeah, and bruce (I think it was bruce the duck who said this) they do say hell in the movie (these floors are dirty as hell), I don't remember if they say damn. I think the PG-13 was the appropriate rating, although before I saw the movie, and I saw the rating I was really surprised that Al would get PG-13.
YamiJess27
Obsessed

Post by YamiJess27 »

Oh oops, I didn't see your reply Clyde the Viking.
Clyde the Viking
Occasional
Location: Oh, you know where I am. Mwa- ha- ha- ha- ha- cough- sputter- gag- choke!

Don't worry, 'Salright.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Egg Land Fondue?
Clyde the Viking
Occasional

From Ask Al:

QUOTE Dave Rice of Friesland, WI asks: Whose decision was it to make UHF rated PG-13?  

Well, it was the Motion Picture Board. They told us the movie was too violent, and that they would change it to a PG if we were to remove the scenes with Emo getting his thumb chopped off and Raul throwing poodles out the window. Those were two of my favorite scenes, so I refused, and the movie stayed PG-13.
Egg Land Fondue?
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Oh yeah, I forgot the "I'm in hell!" and "These floors..."! That speech by Stanley is one of my favorite parts of the movie. Actually, I figured the violence was the reason for the rating. After all there is quite a bit of "cartoonish" violence:

Indiana Jones spoof: arm, train, boulder

Stanley Mop fight

Kuni's school

Gandhi II

Conan the Librarian

Rambo spoof: blowing people up!

Teaching poodles to fly

Emo the shop teacher

But the "sexual content" rating is just stupid. Those few minor lines in Town Talk shouldn't constitute "sexual content."