Al on tv yesterday

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

And I also have a picture of him just about ready to eat piece of candy~ chocolate candy. This is also a more current pic. Not sure if I can share it, as someone sent it to me. He did not say he wouldn't accept my chocolate, so I'm guessing he does eat it. One of the fans at AlCon had Rice Krispie treats, and offered to share them with Al, but he said he couldn't because of the gelatin in the marshmallows. So he will tell people when he can't eat something. I will conitinue to make chocolates and cookies for Al *and give them to him*, as I'm pretty sure he does partake.

I have no idea of Al's position on the matter, of course, but there may well be a real difference in his mind between occasionally eating something with a little bit of milk or butter in it and something with gelatin. Gelatin is made from boiling down bones. Something has to die, in other words. Eww.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Something has to die, in other words. Eww.

A not so subtle difference. Especially to the gelatin source. :nervous:

And you don't even want to know how they make cottage cheese. Which makes me wonder... is it kosher? :eh:

Hmmmmm.... may have to research that.
sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

I'd like to know your results on this

Sarah

this way I get to learn, and don't have to do the research
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Well since you asked... And this is WAY off topic...

Rennet can come from plant sources, so it can be Dairy Kosher. But then I suppose it could also be not kosher at all. As always, read the label... :huh:

And to wrestle it back on topic, however loosely... it's not included in a vegan diet. So Al doesn't have to worry about the after effects of too much cheese pizza.
sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

well thank you *tries to veer back on topic* I don't even remember the actual thread.....

we don't want the after effects of cheese pizza during a concert

Sarah

*feels like she has said too much* :lookround:
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

we don't want the after effects of cheese pizza during a concert

Sarah

*feels like she has said too much* :lookround:

It's at moments like this that I find myself tremendously comforted by the reflection that Al's songs are not autobiographical. :nervous:
dead_parrot
Occasional

Post by dead_parrot »

Why is Al a vegan? For health reasons? Or is it a not wanting to eat animals thing? Some of his songs have lines about killing animals ("pumped that kitty cat so full of lead", the previously mentioned reindeer violence) he just doesn't seem like the PETA kind of guy. No offense meant to any PETA members here. :)
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

There are other reasons to be vegetarian/vegan. The only thing I have ever read that might clue us in on the philosophical reasons Al decided to give up meat, he credits a book called Diet For A New America.

I haven't read it yet, but I keep thinking I should go down to the library to see if they have it or can get it.

But, once again... Al's music isn't autobiographical. Except for Albuquerque.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Some of his songs have lines about killing animals ("pumped that kitty cat so full of lead", the previously mentioned reindeer violence) he just doesn't seem like the PETA kind of guy

He's got some songs about killing or maiming people too, but he just doesn't seem like that kind of guy either.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Al's a vegan because a fan gave him a book called "Diet for a New America." The book has a lot of gory details about the various meat industries and what eating meat does to one's digestive system. I think for Al it's more about his own health than the "killing animals for food" thing. I'm pretty sure Al's never involved himself with PETA.

Bermuda left a great response on AMW-A a couple years ago when a fan asked if Al wore leather or fur. Bermuda said "Al doesn't eat leather or fur."

El